Backpacking in Malta
Malta is a country that is not necessarily an obvious choice for a backpacker but has so much to offer! Below we have listed some of the reasons why you should add it to your list!
- The archipelago of Malta is made up of three major islands, Malta, Gozo and Comino. All of the islands are small in size meaning that you can see a lot in just a short trip without having to endure long overnight bus journeys like you do in other popular backpacking destinations!
- The cheap and reliable public bus system enables travellers to move around conveniently and on a small budget. Some places are also best reached on a scenic ferry journey, which is equally as good value and offers an amazing way to see the beautiful coast.
- Malta has a wonderfully warm annual climate, with hot summers and mild winters making it ideal for a trip at any time of the year.
- There are some great things to do for free, including all of Malta’s wonderful natural sites and the Gozo Citadel.
- Malta has several incredible UNESCO listed ruins where you can learn all about the rich history of this country, including the magnificent Tarxien Temples.
- There is plenty of cheap accommodation in Malta so you will never struggle to find a bed for the night. As well as hostels in the main destinations, there are also plenty of cheap bed and breakfasts and guest houses.
- Malta has some delicious food and a great local cheap eat, Pastizzi- an amazing pastry stuffed with ricotta or peas. Like the rest of the world, you can also find a cheap slice of pizza pretty much anywhere in Malta!
- You can always find cheap flights to Malta as many of the budget airlines operate flights from all over the UK.
- If you do want to spend a little bit of extra cash then Malta has some incredible dive sites, ideal for both the beginner and experienced diver. You can find out more here.
We hope that this post has excited you about the prospect of backpacking in Malta. Why not browse the rest of this site to learn some more about this incredible country.