The town of Victoria is locally known as Rabat and is the main city on the island of Gozo. The name Victoria was given to the town in honour of Queen Victoria’s 1897 Diamond Jubilee celebrations. The town now has two parts, one being the Gozo Citadel, which is the old city and the other is Rabat which was previously a suburb of the Citadel. Victoria is a charming place to visit and has plenty of interesting places to see as well as lovely places to stop and grab a drink and watch the world go by.
Things to See and Do in Victoria
Victoria has some great things to see and do you will easily be able to fill a day pottering around the old streets and visiting some of the sights and attractions.
- Citadel: The Citadel is a must see if you are visiting Victoria. It is believed to have been originally developed at around 1500 B.C and has played a prominent place in Gozo’s history. The Citadel also has offers stunning views in to the countryside.
- Museums: Victoria has a good selection of museums including; Gozo Cathedral Museum, Gozo Museum of Archaeology and the Gozo Museum of Folklore. Also of interest are the fascinating Old Prisons which were home to prisoners on the island from 1500s to 1904.
- Historical Buildings: Victoria has many beautiful buildings to see. One that is particularly stunning is the Basilica of St George which is located right in the centre of town.
- Independence Square: Here there are lots of cafes and bars where you can enjoy some food and a drink al fresco in the sunshine. In the mornings there is also an open air market.
- Republic Street: This street is the more modern area of town and is the best shopping area.
- Villa Rundle Public Gardens: These gardens are beautiful and a great place to go to get away from the bustle of the city centre.
Photos of Victoria
Places to Eat in Victoria
- Ta’ Rikardu: This is the best spot in the Citadel. Try one of the platters of delicious local cheese, bread, tomatoes and olives.
- Maldonado Bistro: Central restaurant with excellent service and delicious food.
- Coffee Break, Cafe&Bistro: This is a great little place perfect for lunch or coffee and a cake. It is located opposite the bus station.
- La Stanza Bar & Restaurant: Cozy restaurant in a beautiful old building with traditional features. The menu is meditteranean with an Italian influence.
Places to Drink in Victoria
There are plenty of great little bars with outside seating for you to sit and enjoy a nice cold drink on a hot summers day.
Places to Stay in Victoria
Most visitors to Gozo will just come to Victoria on a day trip, however, there is one hotel if you are interested in staying overnight. The Downtown Hotel is a no frills option but does have a great rooftop pool with lovely views. In the summer the hotel offers a free bus service to the beaches.
Getting to and around Victoria
The city is just 6km away from the Mgarr harbour which connects Gozo to the Malta mainland. There is a public bus that travels between Mgarr and Victoria. Victoria is also well connected to other resorts on the island.
If you have a car then parking is available in parking zones (make sure you have your parking clock dial).
Victoria is also a great place to rent a bicycle and the small size of Gozo makes getting around the rest of the island relatively easy.